Our Mission and Philosophy
Schlarman Academy is a faith-based, preschool-through–high-school educational community that promotes spiritual, intellectual, physical, and moral development in a dynamic climate of academic excellence centered on Christian values and the Catholic tradition.
Schlarman Academy is a Christian institution within the Roman Catholic tradition. We believe in each person's unique worth because God has created and called him or her to a particular end or destiny. The primary obligation for education and Christian formation rests with the parents. We share in this while they entrust the student to the school.
Schlarman seeks to maintain an environment characterized by the Roman Catholic expression of Christian faith, human dignity, and responsible freedom. This requires commitment to the Gospel by all members of the Schlarman family. We strive for excellence in education, formation, and personal development consistent with our self‑identity and Roman Catholic world‑view.
Our goals are to:
- Help the development of Christian faith and its Roman Catholic expression.
- Promote the development of each individual student’s abilities and interests
- Promote lifelong learning, continuing personal development and decision-making based upon the Gospel values and our Roman Catholic world-view.
History of Schlarman Academy
History of Schlarman High School (North Campus)
In the early 1940’s, Danville area Catholics sensed a need for a Catholic high school. Approval for the school was secured from Bishop Joseph H. Schlarman.
In 1945, while a site was being secured, the first high school class of 39 students began its freshman year in a specially prepared area of St. Patrick’s Grade School. In April 1946, officials purchased the W. G. Hartshorn estate (called Greystone) at Vermilion Street and Winter Avenue. The mansion had landscaped lawns, a greenhouse and other buildings on 13 acres. Five more acres were purchased, which gave the school frontage on Lake Vermilion.
The school was named Schlarman High School in honor of the Most Rev. J.H. Schlarman, bishop of the Peoria Diocese, who supported the purchase and was recognized as one of the top administrators of the Catholic Church in the country. Schlarman died in 1951 at age 72.
The mansion was remodeled to include living quarters for the nuns, classrooms, a library, kitchen and community room; lockers, restrooms and showers were provided in the basement.
On Sept. 16, 1946, the school officially opened in its present location with more than 100 freshmen and sophomores. Over the past sixty-four years over 3,900 students have graduated from Schlarman High School.
During the years, a new classroom wing was added and many other changes were made. The students and athletic teams became known as the Hilltoppers — referring to the fact that the campus sits on the highest geographical point in Danville.
In July of 2011, the Vermilion County Catholic grade schools, Holy Family, St. Mary’s, and St. Paul’s, consolidated with Schlarman High School to form Schlarman Academy, a Pre-K through 12th grade school on two campuses.